HO Liquor Bottles

Home Forums General Discussions Product Tech HO Liquor Bottles

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  MicroTraxx 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

MicroTraxx
    Keymaster
    To begin
    Following a request for HO scale liquor bottles .. From Tony Burgess .. I’m going to try. I thought it might be fun to show you the process. First thing was to grab some bottles off of the web.
    assorted_bottles

Full-Size No. 7
    I’m not concerned with size differences in the photos as I will be tracing the outline in Sketchup which can be re-scaled at will. I selected the Jack Daniels No.7 bottle first as I have it on my ‘Liquor Shelf’ so I could take measurements. The height is 10″ so I scale the drawing to that height .. Sektchup scales everything to match.
    In the Sketchup drawing below I have the original photo on the far right. Immediately to the left is the outline. Left of that is interesting: The bottle has 4-sides, round and 8-sides. I normally would not color separate ‘bits’ but it was helpful for this demonstration.

JackDaniels_No7_trace

That is saved to the “Booze” root folder as Bottles_FS.skp – saved Full-Size so I can use it for any scale if needed.

HO Scale No. 7
    Next I scale the drawing to HO. That 10″ height is used. I divide by 87 to get 9.115″. I convert that to mm since the minimums for designing in FUD are listed in that system. So .. .115 x 25.4 = 2.92mm. I rescale that 10″ to 2.92

Bottles_HO

Note: Notice that I did not change my Units to mm … I left it in inches. Sketchup has a problem drawing circles/arcs below 0.018″. I simply scaled the bottle height from 10″ to 2.92 and ignore the units format. There is more to it then that but I will talk about that later.

Making Adjustments
    singleHO

This is the bit where we have to adjust our design to fit the constraints for FUD/FXD. If we look at the HO beer bottle you an see that the smallest dimension is the cap where it is 0.3mm. FUD/FXD have a minimum wall thickness of .3mm and a minimum detail of .1mm – but in my experience, keeping a part at or above that .3mm measurement stops a lot of problems.
    adjusted_No7

I made some mostly minor changes. I widened the neck of the bottle so the smallest thickness went from 1.4mm to 1.5mm so when spun the bottle would meet that magic .3mm thickness. I moved the lower part of the bottle over that .01mm .. an finally thickened the band below the neck from 0.05mm to 0.1mm .. this being the minimum detail size (Shapeways would refer to it as “Minimum embossed”)
    You can sometimes slide things past the software checks .. but meeting the minimums without cheating means that more often than not the model will pass the checks first time.
    Spin the Bottle
    With all that done it is time to spin that sectional view into a 3d shape. I moved the three shapes off to one side to give space and then added an axis for each to spin on. The neck (green) I added a octagon at the bottom of the axis, a square at the base of the body (blue) and a circle at the base of the orange axis (polygon tool to make the first too, circle tool the last)

CreateFMObjects

Spinning then is simply selecting the perimeter of the octagon, circle or square and then clicking the ‘Follow Me’ tool. There was some manual cleanup required on hte neck (green) .. when you spin weird shapes it can happen there can be missing data .. meaning the white areas I had to manually reconnect the vertexes to crete the faces.

AfterSpinning

First Attempt
    No7_attempt_1

The join between the different shapes is more complicated then just spinning a shape. The point they join there are all kinds of complicated things happening. I used a plugin called Curviloft to do this transition. I am still not happy with the corners of the bottle but I will say this is ‘good nuff’. At the scale this is to be printed the lack of rounded corners will not be noticeable if at all.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.