Open Bottom Crates

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    MicroTraxx
    Keymaster

Open bottom crates

Painting individual bottles and then dropping as many as you need into a crate is fine but it seemed to me that if one simply wanted a crate with all of the cells filled with bottles it might make sense to offer a way to do this in one step. I created a crate with the bottom removed. I then created that bottom with the twelve bottles as one piece in translucent resin.

Crate and Bottle Insert

Here we have the crate and bottles. I printed the crate in gray resin and the bottles in a translucent resin. The 12 bottles and the rectangle they sit on are a single piece.

Crate

A look at the Open Bottom Crate. The crate sits on a mass of supports … necessary for resin printing. A flush cutter makes short work of removing the crate from the supports.

Note: it is a bit difficult to see in the photo but the rivets are placed on L-shaped brackets. I suppose it is within the realm of possibility that these could be painted by the modeler.

Note: the cells are divided by walls ~ .312 mm / 0.012″. The .3 mm wall thickness is just about the minimum that a resin printer can print and that will physically work on a model.

Support Removal

With the crate snipped off from the pad and supports and flipped over. I still need to clean up the notched open bottom.

Open Bottom

A extreme close up .. all warts exposed. You can see the notch created by removing the bottom of the crate. I cleaned this up a bit using an emery board.

Assembled

Here I have the bottle inserted through the bottom of the open crate.
    Note that I did not bother painting the bottle caps. The Michelob Amberbock I used as an example has bottle caps the same dark brown as the bottle.

The interesting .. or .. challenging thing would be how to replicate the neck and bottle labels.

• This topic was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by MicroTraxx.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.