Ore Chute/Gate

Home Forums Products Blog Industrial Ore Bin Ore Chute/Gate

Tagged: 

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  MicroTraxx 1 year ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

MicroTraxx
    Keymaster

I suppose there will be those who raise an eyebrow at the design of the chute. What can I say? I am nuts is the simple answer. The more convoluted answer is that in the time that these would have been designed there may very well have been some made like this .. everything seemed to be cast in iron. In the end it doesn’t matter .. I am simply having fun.

Here’s the chute and Gate Assembly –

The chute is printed in WSF (White Strong and Flexible). This is a Sintered Nylon – meaning powdered nylon is melted with a laser layer by layer. This creates a relatively strong model but with a slight texture. For me .. this works fine in O scale to replicate cast iron.

The Chute

The chute(s) printed pretty well. The holes for the bolts printed .. ‘sorta kinda’. They are .030″ dia – which gives a good idea what works with WSF and what doesn’t.

Closer look

The holes circled in blue are not really needed since they will be covered by the gate. You can see that a bit of the holes actually printed if not very well. Circled in red though are the holes that will need to be drilled out for the NBW

Drilled out

Used a .030″ drill. The hardest part was finding where to drill on the sides. The ones across the top there was a boss around the hole to guide the drill. Those on the side (bottom red circle) I had to drill out from the back. There was *mostly* a small pin-hole to follow. This pretty much tells me that a .030″ printed hole is simply too small. That .040″ would probably work ok. ((edit: the shank on the NBW (Tichy) are .030″. I had to drill the holes out to .036″)). Version 8 has .040″ holes.

Sprues

The gates and associated parts are ganged to sprues which need to be removed. Shown in red.

Sprues for Gears

The sprues that hold the gears need to be trimmed just behind the gear boss as shown

Note that the hole for the gear shafting passes completely through the sprue. Once the gear is cut from the sprue a pin should be passed through to clean the hole out

• This topic was modified 1 year ago by  MicroTraxx.
    • This topic was modified 12 months ago by  MicroTraxx.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.